12/10/07

Yummy!

Jack and I decided to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a bedtime snack. This was Jack's first time helping me make cookies (maybe the second time I've made cookies since he was born, you'll see why later). He thought it was so cool! He helped me mix the first few ingredients with the whisk before I put it in the beater, and then he loved watching the beater mix it all up. I gave him a beater to lick, and he would lick a little bit off and say "moo-oh! moo-oh!". So I just got out a spoon and let him have at it. Here he is making sure I did all the ingredients correctly.

Mmmmm! Tastes good!
Let me just mix it up a little bit more...
And this is why I never make cookies. For some reason they never turn out right. Here is what the first batch ended up being. They were so flat and gooey, I couldn't even get them off with the spatula. Scott wanted some without oatmeal, so I did the first batch without, and I'm thinking that's why they were so runny. Or maybe because I used butter instead of shortening? Anyone know if that would make a difference?
The second and third batches (with the oatmeal) turned out much better. Still a little flat, but not bad!
And here is Jack enjoying his bedtime snack. Mmm-mmm! Still warm and gooey!

3 comments:

The Candlands said...

My first suggestion would be to make sure your baking soda isn't old. Sometimes that causes the cookies to be flat. Also you may not have enough flour if they are gooey, and too much if they break. Altitude changes things too.

Do me a favor and try my recipe. Just TRY it! It's way easy and the dough is yummy (according to my husband because I don't like more than a bite).

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream together:
1 1/2 cups butter flavored Crisco
2 1/2 cups light brown sugar
4 tbls milk
2 tbls vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour
1 pkg of chocolate chips

Mix ingredients well in order listed. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min. Do not over bake. Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet and then transfer to wax paper.

Burrell said...

Mmmm. Deneigh's recipe sounds delicious. Let me know how it turns out! I may even try them myself, because I seem to have the same problem you have. They always turn out flat and crunchy. I tried the store-bought dough once and they were just OK. Focus on the memories you just made with Jack instead of the cookies. Those are much sweeter.
P.S. I hear you have a new niece. Give my love to Tyler and Sheena.

Allison Bushman said...

MY FAVORITE salad! :)