7/17/08

My First Quilt!

I did it! I actually completed a whole project! And a big one at that. A few months ago I was wandering a fabric store and fell in love with this jelly roll (several coordinated fabrics cut into long strips and rolled up to look all fancy and cute). I couldn't resist buying it, even though I had no idea what I would do with it. So I browsed some pics online and found a quilt design that I liked. Then with the help of my amazing Aunt Penny, I put together what was supposed to be the front or main design of the quilt. (See third picture down.)

Well, then I needed something for the back, and I didn't want to just sew a couple big pieces of fabric together, so I designed the side with the big blocks all by myself! Go me! I didn't have enough fabric for the last two blocks, or a couple of the little one's, so I decided to pull out my scrapbook stash and put the buttons in two of the little squares and stitch on the flower/ bird design by hand. I didn't turn the edges under, so it's gonna fray, but I like that look.

Once I finished that side, it just turned out so much cuter than the original main design, so it kind of ended up being the front. I guess I just have a two-sided quilt, and I could show off whatever side I feel like at the time. : )

All in all it took me probably 3 months to finish. And for probably a month of that it sat on my kitchen table because I couldn't decide how I wanted to quilt it. But I finally finished it, and I am so proud! Thank you, thank you, thank you Penny for all your expert advice! =D

(The pictures aren't the greatest from my phone. Sorry.)





I finished this one on the 3rd, and I am now a good part of the way through a super cute one I'm making for Jack. Here's a sneak peak.........

5 comments:

The Candlands said...

Yeah! It turned out so great! I love it! Good job, and good luck with the next one!

Burrell said...

Looks great! Isn't my mama amazing? She should come back here to live and help me set up a quilt shop, where we could live happily ever after. You could come, too because you've got skills.

Tyler and Sheena said...

It looks fabulous. I wish I had your talent. When I have a little extra money and a sewing machine I'll have to get started on little projects and maybe one day (in, oh 30 years when all my kids are gone)I too will make a beautiful quilt like that. *Sigh* Someday.

Terrie said...

It's beautiful. I am jealous because I just don't have the energy to start one more hobby, an expensive and time consuming one at that and given the fact that my hands shake so much now, I will just leave this one to you and Penny. Love ya, Terrie

The Brownings said...

Wow val! That is so beautiful! I love it :> Look at you go!